Beyond the Brain is organised by The Scientific and Medical Network.
The Scientific and Medical Network (SMN) is devoted to the emergence of a more enlightened world – a world in which the wisdom of spirituality and the thoughtfulness of philosophy balance the power of science and technology. View our website here.
We recognise that our world is still plagued by deep problems and enduring conflicts. Many of these are caused by dogmatic, superstitious or ill-informed worldviews. However, we believe that individuals and societies can transform themselves. The key is learning to integrate evidence-based science, born of rational philosophy, with the love and inner peace cultivated by spiritual practice. The Scientific and Medical Network is a worldwide community of professionals dedicated to this transformative task.
The aims of the SMN are to:
- challenge the adequacy of scientific materialism as an exclusive basis for knowledge and values
- provide a safe forum for the critical and open minded discussion of ideas that go beyond reductionist science
- integrate intuitive insights with rational analysis
- encourage a respect for the principles of Earth and Community, and emphasising a spiritual and holistic approach to both
In asking searching questions about the nature of life and the role of the human being, the Network is:
- open to new observations and insights
- rigorous in evaluating evidence and ideas
- responsible in maintaining the highest scientific and ethical standards
- sensitive to a plurality of viewpoints
Membership is open to all who are sympathetic to our mission, aims and values.